Monday, April 20, 2009

Things to do on the toilet besides play games

You can read books about games! After my initial repulsion at the Gamer's Edition of the Guinness Book, it has become my new favorite bathroom reading. It's full of weird little facts about games across all different genres since the dawn of time, and it's the kind of knowledge that you can use to impress your nerdy friends. After adding it to my game knowledge database, I'm pretty sure I could do very, very well at Jeopardy: Gamer's Edition or Trivial Pursuit: Gamer's Edition. If only game shows were able to survive on TV! Alas, woe is the nerds. It's odd that no company has made a mass market video game trivia game yet, what with the industry as a whole having surpassed the movie industry years ago in terms of sales... and now we have Scene-It, a video game about movie knowledge. Where's the movies about video game knowledge? Who knows...

There are some other cool video game books to put on your coffee table next to your controllers and game cases. I thoroughly enjoyed High Score! 2nd Edition, which is full of pretty pictures and neat tidbits. Also, The Ultimate History of Video Games will get you up to speed with the industry better and more entertainingly than any other book/movie/website I've ever seen. Also, Lucky Wander Boy. The greatest piece of video game fiction ever written. You need to find it somewhere and buy it immediately. I hope D.B. Weiss writes another book someday! I'd also love to read Supercade someday... but it's hard to find MIT Press books in Southern Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment