Sunday, June 21, 2009

My favorite game store

Since BragGameRights didn't really live up to my expectations, I thought I would describe what I really did like in the world's best game store: Game Doctor in Casper, Wyoming.

Now, I couldn't find anything on the web about this place, so I think it might have gone out of business. And I'm also pretty positive that it is no relation to Gamer Doc, a new chain based on the East Coast. But I was taking a cross-country road trip with my family, and we stumbled across this place.

The store was probably about 1,000 square feet, and the whole place was filled with glass jewelry-style cases. These were PACKED with used games, organized alphabetically and by system. If you wanted you see one, you had to ask. If you wanted to try one, you asked the guy to boot it up on one of the many TV's set behind the counter. No charge, and you could try as many as you wanted. By keeping the actual games out of the hands of the customers they stayed nicer, and cleaner, and in a more valuable pristine condition. It may sound cold, but you would be in such awe of the sheer volume of classic games that you would not care at all. You and your friends would be darting around, looking in cases, and yelling, "Hey, come look what I found!" every time you stumbled upon a gem.

The prices were very reasonable, and they stocked games from pretty much every system you've ever heard of, including newer games. The really rare ones where held up on a pedestal behind the counter, eagerly awaiting someone with a big enough bankroll to drop $200 on a mint-in-box Legend of Zelda or a complete-with-map copy of Earthbound.

I don't know if the store is still around; I haven't been there for over ten years. But I do know that if I ever open my own game store, it's going to be a lot like this one. Try before you buy, a friendly and knowledgeable staff (one guy pointed out the differences between Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X4 for me when I was torn between which to buy), and more games that you know what to do with. There is still a huge market for retro games; people will always be nostalgic for their younger days. Now if someone would just take advantage of that fact, and do it right this time, the world would be a richer place.

No comments:

Post a Comment