Thursday, March 19, 2009

My first time

I went to visit my grandparent's house one time when I was about 4 years old, and they had gotten this new thing at a garage sale called a "Nintendo." It was plugged into the TV in the living room, and a little pixelated man would move and jump across the screen when you pushed buttons on the controller. Because it was so new and unique to everyone in the house, I only got to play for about 3 minutes before someone older and more experienced in the ways of the world wrenched the controller away from me, leaving me to look on while they enjoyed this 8-bit wonder. They weren't palying Mario Bros. They were playing Rygar.

When my parents brought me back to my house later, they had a surprise: Grandpa had given us the Nintendo! My dad plugged it in and I lost myself in the world that had always been there, waiting for me. Of course, I wasn't even able to get past the first boss. I blamed it on lack of skill and inexperience, but even today, I can't beat Rygar's last boss. I realize now just how far games have come. The original TMNT game on the NES wasn't hard, it was just poorly designed. Same with Rygar. Even with a strategy guide, you will only have one chance to defeat King Ligar at the end after three long, saveless hours. Games today are a lot more forgiving and ultimately enjoyable. Still, there's something about the first time you are the one controlling what happens on TV instead of being merely a passive observer. It's very empowering, even for a 4-year-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment