Sunday, February 22, 2009

Right on Target, but not always in Target

Target sells video games. No way! That's where I used to buy my games before I found out that Wal-Mart is open 24 hours. Now, I buy my games at Best Buy because I get Reward Zone points, but that's not my point. Target is no longer a viable avenue for purchasing games! And that's sad, because we need all the options we can get (like 7-Eleven). Target's always out of stock of the good games, and there are 3 times as many Wii games as there are anything and everything else. Not good Wii games. Target is triple-stocked on Wii Music and the latest Animal Crossing remake, and the "$20 Wii Crap" section is bigger than the entire PSP area. I don't think this is because there's more Wii Crap than PSP games (even though there is). I think this is because people are dumb and will buy anything on Wii that has a colorful box, and Target's top men know this. "$20 for a next-gen game? No way! I'll take three!" PSP is a good system, but it's its own system, and it's not being utilized to its potential. Wii is also a good system, and its gimmicky potential is being fully realized. As a gimmick. There are interesting ways to utilize the Wii controls, or don't! Make a good game that just happens to be on the Wii, even if it doesn't fully utilize the motion controls (Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Guitar Hero/Rock Band). The best DS game of last year, Chrono Trigger, barely used the touch screen, but it's a classic. A pure pedigree shows even if the controls are "traditional." Traditional means functional. And what are the first three letters of functional?

No comments:

Post a Comment